Deployment and Database Configuration Specialist
Reporting to the Deployment Team Lead, the Deployment and Database Configuration Specialist executes application and database software updates, performs data migrations, resolves minor database problems and performs remote system configuration updates on new installations, as required.
Roles and responsibilities
- Participate in database and software update execution according to pre-defined work instructions.
- Perform customer database configuration changes.
- Set up and manage virtual environments
- Participate in the pre-deployment analyses of customer systems and software in order to help plan deployment activities and meet contractual obligations.
- Participate in creating and updating team processes and validate work instructions, communications plans and quality control for an optimized delivery cost with minimal customer system down time.
- Ensure that every step of the project is properly documented and followed.
- Manage and update assigned tasks within expected and planned delay.
- Take ownership of assigned deployment projects and ensure that all work is completed on time and with quality.
- Research, investigate and propose technical solutions for client configuration needs.
- Minimize impact of errors on customer systems by providing prompt resolution.
Skills and Abilities
- Provides feedback on how assigned tasks are progressing to both Team Lead and Deployment Manager.
- Is aware that customer systems need to be released back to Global Customer Support as soon as possible to minimize customer down time.
- Views work from the customer’s perspective.
- Keeps the Team Lead and Deployment Manager abreast of project statuses and of any issues that may come up when performing deployments or when participating in any Methods or Test and Validation projects.
- Is efficient and makes the best use of the time available to complete assigned tasks.
- Follows established processes.
- Reviews all upgrade documents upon release in order to be the go to person during the associated deployment.
- Completes tasks assigned within the appropriate timeframe and with the desired results.
- Proactively acts and follows through on work activities to resolve them.
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency about results.
- Perform daily tasks to meet established standards.
- Accepts responsibility for the outcomes of own work.
- Demonstrates high personal work standards.
- Holds others accountable for achieving results.
- Shows concern for quality, accuracy, and completeness of work activities.
- Plans own work activities in advance to ensure that all assignments are completed in a timely and quality manner.
- Learns from errors and takes steps to make sure they do not happen again.
- Asks for provided procedures to be altered if an error is found and follows up to ensure they are updated.
- Alters deployment processes/procedures to ensure they reflect any necessary changes that may eliminate mistakes that occurred during deployments.
- Is able to deploy multiple upgrades/machines in one day and can work on more than one project per day.
- Is able to follow-up on multiple deployments and projects and report back to the Deployment Manager and Project Manager on status as required.
- Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved.
- Work requires little or no checking.
- Breaks problems down into simple components in order to identify required tasks or activities.
- Maintains perspective between the overall picture and tactical details.
- Fills out all required checklists and procedures during deployments and upgrades.
- Ability to provide timely and concise information to others both orally and in writing and to communicate effectively.
- Provides support to and backs up the decisions of the Team Lead and Deployment Manager.
- Is able to find common ground with others in order to solve problems and come to a common understanding.
- Identifies issues with allotted deployment time/strategy and shares these thoughts in advance with the Deployment Manager.
- Anticipates potential technical obstacles and develops contingency plans to overcome them.
- Becomes familiar with new deployment packages and ensures that the team is comfortable before major deployments.
- Identifies problems with deployment packages and relays this information back to team lead and deployment manager
- Is able to work with little or no supervision.
- Is able to prioritize and complete tasks in order of importance.
- Takes initiative and takes on tasks that need to be completed but which have not yet been assigned.
- Is able to adapt to new work instructions and learn new technology to complete existing and future deployment tasks.
- Adjusts working hours to meet tight timelines and to accommodate international customers at different time zones without being asked.
- Is able to work weekends when planned and required by the customer.
- Is able to handle prolonged high energy and sometimes high stress projects.
Qualifications and experience
- Completed IT Diploma
- 2-3 years of experience working with enterprise level databases
- Technical knowledge of Oracle Database and SQL language.
- Technical knowledge of PostgreSQL
- General experience in system administration (Windows and Linux)
- Experience in a project/operations centric environment
- Team spirit, good analysis and problem solving skills, autonomy and initiative
- Scripting knowledge an asset (i.e. PowerShell, Perl, VB Script, Java Script)
- Experience with deployment automation tools an asset
Does this career opportunity interest you? Please send your resume to the following address: CareersMTL@ultra-ft.com. Please specify the Job title in the Subject box of your e-mail. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, we promote equal opportunity and we are committed to promoting fair and equitable representation of women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
** In this document, terms used to refer to persons are taken in the generic sense; they have both a feminine and a masculine value. **
Subscribe to our blog