Customs and Transport Coordinator
Reporting to the Logistics Team lead, the Customs and Transportation Coordinator is an integral part of the Logistics team. In this role, you will facilitate the seamless execution of all customs, compliance and trade documentation and matters related to the importing/exporting of cross border shipments. You will play a key role in the development of compliance strategy and processes to minimize trade costs and ensure compliance with export and import laws and regulations.
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate all necessary customs administration and documentation required for import/export shipments, including B13, Prior Notices, Custom Duty invoices and documentation, customs clearance information for customs brokers, C-TPAT & PIP (Canadian and US Federal Homeland Import Security), etc.
- Determine the appropriate mode of transportation for each situation to optimize the time / cost ratio.
- Manages the monitoring, tracking and follows up on all bookings. Provide customs clearance information for customs brokers.
- Analyze and assess applicable Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HS) classification, examining invoices, manifests and supporting documents for conformity to tariffs and customs laws
- Liaise with internal partners, customs agencies and brokers, government departments and logistics providers to ensure proper declarations and clearance requirements are met to deliver timely customs clearances
- Coordinate the necessary transportation by tendering loads for all export shipments via air/road.
- Coordinates with finance to ensure on time payments to vendors
- Conduct risk assessments of tariff classifications and periodic internal audits of broker cleared shipments to identify potential compliance issues and discrepancies, and ensuring appropriate follow-up as required
- Evaluate new Government agency requirements to ensure import compliance with changes and incorporation into day to day operations and standard operating procedures
- Take lead in customs compliance audits and assessments by external agencies, ensuring all required documentation is in order to mitigate business risk
- Provide leadership in the development of a corporate customs compliance and security program to ensure compliance with international customs regulations, best in class operating policies, procedures, and internal/external controls.
- Immediately send relevant or problematic information to the immediate supervisor.
- Ensure compliance with delivery schedules established by routine audits. Manage and track changes as necessary.
- Ensure that the company complies with transportation laws and regulations, including with respect to hazardous materials.
- Contact person for customs procedures.
- Regularly inquire about changes to customs pricing and transportation regulations;
- Resolve all legal issues related to transportation or customs
Qualifications and Experience
- College diploma in appropriate field (Supply Chain, Logistic, etc.).
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experiences in particular in NAFTA and International Customs.
- Proven administrative experience in import & export activities for Canada and US (Europe considered an asset).
- Certified Customs Specialist (CCS) or Certified Trade Compliance Specialist (CTCS) designations an asset.
- Strong technical knowledge of Canada and US Customs rules of origin, valuation, tariff classifications.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken in French and English. Fluent in multiple languages considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills to collaborate and effectively mediate between internal/external parties.
- Demonstrated analytical, time management, organizational skills and good judgment.
- Solid decision-making and problem-solving capabilities with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Be attentive to detail, have a sense of urgency and be oriented towards customer service.
- Proficient with MS Office.
Does this career opportunity interest you? Please send your resume to the following address: CareersMTL@ultra-ft.com. Please specify the Job title in the Subject box of your e-mail. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, we promote equal opportunity and we are committed to promoting fair and equitable representation of women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
** In this document, terms used to refer to persons are taken in the generic sense; they have both a feminine and a masculine value. **